Wednesday, September 27, 2006

PC Power Consumption (Easy savings!)

I showed in a previous post how to cut the power usage on your PC by enabling software power saving options. However, I've found that the possibilities for savings are rather large. My 3 Gigahertz Pentium PC uses between 124 watts and 206 watts. When in standby mode, that drops to 2 watts. (Hard Drive off mode doesn't appear to affect power consumption much). Also, my 19" CRT uses about 68 watts when on and 1 watt in standby mode. Obviously, it's better to shut the machine down, however, simply by engaging the power saving functions in software, I'm not using up to 275 watts if I forget. That can really add up over the life of the PC.

Also, when it's time to upgrade, a 15" flat panel uses 17 watts when running and 1 watt in standby. This would also save some money considering the amount of time I sit in front of the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home